PNG - Final Mike & Jon Podcast Logo

Search the Latest Local News

Trial resumes for men charged in Whitmer kidnap plot

The trial of four men charged with planning to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer is resuming after a three-day break because of a COVID-19 case.

U.S. District Judge Robert Jonker said testimony will pick up again Thursday, according to The Associated Press. The trial was suspended this week because the virus had struck a key participant in the case.

There have been “no further complications,” the judge said Wednesday.

Jonker didn’t disclose the name of the person who tested positive for COVID-19 or their role. Masks are optional for everyone in court. Only one prosecutor and one juror wore a mask last week.

Adam Fox, Barry Croft Jr., Daniel Harris and Brandon Caserta are charged with conspiracy. Prosecutors say they turned their anger toward government in 2020 into a plot to kidnap Whitmer because of the restrictions she imposed during the early months of the pandemic.

Among those expected to testify for the prosecution is Ty Garbin of Hartland Township. He was arrested with the other defendants, but cut a deal and was sentenced to six years in prison. The others face up to life in prison if convicted.

https://apnews.com/article/559b1b0f372c90c981033eab3a152066

close

Don't Miss A Thing!

Join 125 others in getting updates on the lastest Livingston County News!

Subscribe to Livingston County News Alerts

More Stories Around Livingston County