The Michigan Parole Board has reconsidered its decision to grant parole to Floyd Jarvi, who was convicted in the kidnapping and assault of a Brighton woman thirty years ago.
Jarvi’s parole was denied after an appeal of the Board’s previous decision. The appeal was submitted by Attorney General Dana Nessel to the Livingston County Circuit Court in December 2022.
The Parole Board’s reconsideration and denial of parole comes after Judge L. Suzanne Geddis of the Livingston County Circuit Court granted Nessel’s emergency stay of enforcement of the order to release Jarvi on parole until an appeal hearing could be conducted.
Jarvi pled no contest and was sentenced to 25-60 years in prison for his 1993 assault, rape, and kidnapping of Wendy Jo Morrison.
In response to the news of Jarvi’s parole denial, Morrison said “Attorney General Dana Nessel personally responded to my concerns about Jarvi’s release. She made me feel heard and seen when I was ready to give up and has reaffirmed my faith in the justice system. I am grateful to Dana Nessel, Assistant Attorney General John Pallas, and everyone at the Department of Attorney General who worked on this case to help keep our community safe,” Morrison concluded.
In October of last year, the Michigan Parole Board voted to grant Jarvi parole after 28 years in prison for multiple crimes, including first-degree criminal sexual conduct, kidnapping, armed robbery, and felony firearm possession.
“We are grateful the Parole Board understood the importance of our appeal and made the decision to reverse itself,” said Nessel. “It took immense courage for the victim to ask for our assistance and we had an obligation to act. Our department will continue to work vigorously on behalf of victims and the safety of the public.”
Jarvi became eligible for parole in 2014 and was repeatedly denied it until October 2022. Had the emergency stay not been granted, Jarvi would have been released from prison on December 20, 2022.