The former co-chair for the Michigan Republican Party has been arraigned on felony charges for her role in an alleged false electors scheme following the 2020 U.S. presidential election in which she and 15 co-defendants falsely stated that Donald Trump won Michigan’s 2020 presidential election.
55-year-old Meshawn Maddock of Milford pleaded not guilty on Tuesday in Ingham County’s 54-A District Court to eight charges, including Election Law Forgery and Conspiracy to Commit Election Law Forgery.
The only other defendant who has been arraigned is 65-year-old Mari-Ann Henry of Brighton, who also pleaded not guilty when she was arraigned last week.
Attorney General Dana Nessel alleges the defendants met covertly in the basement of the Michigan Republican Party headquarters on December 14th, 2020 and signed their names to multiple certificates stating they were the “duly elected and qualified electors for President and Vice President of the United States of America for the State of Michigan.”
“That was a lie,” said Nessel. “They weren’t the duly elected and qualified electors, and each of the defendants knew it.”
The false documents were then alleged to have been transmitted to the United States Senate and National Archives in a coordinated effort to award the state’s electoral votes to the candidate of their choosing, in place of the candidates actually elected by the people of Michigan.
Both Maddock and Henry were released on a $1,000 personal recognizance bond and are barred from out-of-state travel or from possessing any firearm or other dangerous weapon.
Both women are due back in court Aug. 4 for a probable cause conference and then again an Aug. 10 for a preliminary examination.
The remaining 14 defendants are scheduled for arraignment on Aug. 10, although they can schedule an appearance before then.
• Kathy Berden, 70, of Snover
• William (Hank) Choate, 72, of Cement City
• Amy Facchinello, 55, of Grand Blanc
• Clifford Frost, 75, of Warren
• Stanley Grot, 71, of Shelby Township
• John Haggard, 82, of Charlevoix
• Timothy King, 56, of Ypsilanti
• Michele Lundgren, 73, of Detroit
• James Renner, 76, of Lansing
• Mayra Rodriguez, 64, of Grosse Pointe Farms
• Rose Rook, 81, of Paw Paw
• Marian Sheridan, 69, of West Bloomfield
• Ken Thompson, 68, of Orleans
• Kent Vanderwood, 69, of Wyoming