Howell Police say investigations into two deaths, an accidental shooting of a child in June and the apparent homicide of a 20-year-old MSU student last week, are continuing.
According to a statement released Tuesday, the Howell Police Department, as well as several assisting agencies, are continuing to conduct the investigation into what was called a “tragic and senseless shooting death” of Oghenevwede Okagbare that occurred just after midnight on Friday, August 11th at a home on the 400 block of West Street.
Officers arrived to find Okagbare deceased. Family members said he was at his girlfriend’s home when her ex-boyfriend, the father of her child, allegedly shot Okagbare six times.
“Since the incident, detectives have executed several search warrants and are continuing to process information as it comes in,” said the statement. “We ask that the public be patient as we process that information for presentation to the Livingston County Prosecutors Office for review. At this time, the suspect remains in custody on unrelated charges.”
No other details have been released.
Meanwhile, Howell Police Chief Scott Mannor, says the investigation to the accidental shooting that took place on the 1900 block of Oak Squire Lane on June 11th is also still on-going.
In that instance, a 2 1⁄2 year-old child was shot by an unsecured firearm they had gained access to. Despite being rushed by EMS to C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital in Ann Arbor by arriving first responders, the child was later pronounced deceased.
“Currently the department is awaiting final forensic reports from the Michigan State Police Crime Lab, as well as the autopsy report,” said Mannor in a statement. “Once all of this information is obtained, the case will be turned over to the Livingston County Prosecutor’s Office for review.”
The father of the child is veteran Dearborn police officer David Lacey.