A family pet was rescued from a house fire Early Wednesday morning in Hamburg Township.
Officials say that at approximately 1:22 a.m., Hamburg Township Public Safety personnel were dispatched to a residential fire on Teahen Road near Cowell Road. Upon arrival, Hamburg Township fire/police personnel found flames coming through the roof of the ranch-style home. The lone occupant, a 57-year old female, was sitting in the driveway and immediately told first responders that her dog was still trapped inside the home.
While police officers tended to the woman, a press release said that firefighters quickly began working on extinguishing the fire.
“Upon entering the home, firefighters found the dog, a German Shepard named “Mika”, laying unresponsive on the floor,” stated the release. “Firefighters removed the dog from the home and additional crew members immediately started rendering aid. Oxygen was administered to the dog with the utilization of the department’s canine oxygen (O2) mask. Mika responded to the aid and regained consciousness and is expected to make a full recovery.”
The woman was transported by Livingston EMS to the hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation and minor burns and was last reported to be in stable condition.
The home sustained heavy damage but officials say “due to the quick response of firefighters the fire was contained to the area of the master bedroom and the attic space directly above it.”
Hamburg Township Public Safety personnel were assisted at the scene by Brighton Area Fire Authority, Green Oak Township Fire Department, Livingston County EMS and Livingston County DART.